Thursday, January 27, 2011

Two Years Later..



Isn't it funny how fast time goes by? I wrote my first post over 2 years ago, and I find myself quite embarrassed that I never followed through with my commitments. I am afraid that this is how life goes, but I hope that post number 3 does not take years to form.

Back to the main purpose of what this blog is, fantastic design! Lately I have been exploring what the wonderful city of Chicago has to offer us design nerds. Last weekend, during a trip to the vintage furniture stores in Andersonville, I picked up the most recent CS Interiors Magazine issue. I over heard Julie Fernstrom, the owner of Brimfield and lover of all things plaid, mention how truly pleased she was with this issue. Being a fan of Julie's store, I was eager to get home and see what great articles and inspiration I could find.

This issue did live up to its reviews, and if you are in Chicago I truly suggest checking out CS Interiors. One of my favorite articles highlights the design work of Summer Thornton. Summer is a young Chicago designer who uses color and pattern that creates a sense of fun and whimsy. Summer has paved her way over the last few years. You may recognize her from articles featuring her in Chicago Home and Garden, Apartment Therapy, and Chicago Tribune Magazine. She works in Chicago with just her Cousin Whitney Mersman, in their playfuly mature Lincoln Park studio. I think a lot of Summer's charm comes from her being a young adult from the country, who focuses as much on her family as she does on her career. In a city like Chicago, these types of people can be rare.

Summer's wonderful use of color is just what I needed in the freezing winter months. A beautiful reminder that our homes need must represent us, and that there is no excuse for the standard white apartment walls that dress too many of our homes. She touches on her past by using cultural and design references of her youth, which makes the design comforting in many ways.



The above pictures gives a view of Summer's inspiration; full of fashion, culture, and amazing architecture. So now it is our turn, what do we look at for inspiration? What colors make you feel at home?

I believe there are so many ways we can bring fun and function into our homes that is accessible to everyone. For 2011, this blog will be my virtual inspiration board as I find ways to make design easy. If you have a moment and would like to comment, I would love to hear how you use design to make your life and home more colorful!

Thank you to CS Interiors, and www.summerthorntondesign.com for the pictures.

No comments: