Sunday, January 30, 2011

First Things First

Good Evening World! I think, for most people, Sunday Evenings are always a little depressing. 48 hours never seems like enough time! This Sunday evening is not as bad, because I actually accomplished a thing or two today; which leads me to this blog post today.

I really think that one of the most important parts of having a nice home is keeping it clean and organized. Even the nicest furniture and decor, are going to be overshadowed by clutter and filth that fill the same room. As you can imagine, I was a little frustrated when my apartments started to fill with garbage, and clothes started piling up everywhere but where they belong. Today I woke up and I was on a mission to get myself together!

Just to give you an idea- this is how my closet looked last night:



It was a little embarrassing, but I think everyone has those projects in their home that just never seem to get done. Life happens, and before you know your closet looks like an episode of hoarders. Well after a little work on this cold Sunday I feel like something was acomplished:

I can see the floor, it's a miracle! I actually texted the before and after pictures to a friend, who probably thought I was out of my mind due to my excitement.

When it comes to closets, there is always room for design as well! Your clothes are beautiful, so organize them by color to display your style. Places like Wal-Mart, Target, and the Container store all have functional pieces that will keep you organized and stylish. I found my green cloth containers at Wal-Mart for only $9.00 a piece!

Now I know some people have closets so chaotic that they don't even know where to begin. I would suggest by starting with a bin for clothes to donate (because someone would be grateful for your things :) and another pile for clothes that need washed/dry cleaned. The easiest way to add style function to your closest is using hangers that all match. I recommend Ikea as an affordable place to find wood hanger's to give your space a boutique look.

I think these projects are the hardest part of everday life. Every home has a leaky faucet that has been dripping for months, or carpets that someone has been talking about ripping out for years. This projects are so important to accomplish before design comes into place. If you are reading this I challenge you to work on some piece of your home that needs some attention. Give yourself one week, and see what you are capable of improving. Best of luck everyone, and feel free to let me know what your projects are!

No comments: